Members of the medical profession have to follow a code of ethics for everything they do. Medical ethics determine the way these professionals behave at work and they assess the moral issues doctors face when treating their patients. By adhering to ethical standards in the country, doctors, nurses and other members of the field are able to ensure a positive quality of life for their patients. Whether you’re looking for help to tighten up your own ethics or with an online LPN program project, AspiringNurse.com has found the best online medical ethics resources for you.
- General Resources for Medical Ethics
- Problems in Medical Ethics
- Medical Ethics for Religion and Culture
- Policies for Medical Ethics
- Medical Law
General Resources for Medical Ethics
These links portray medical ethics as a whole. Use them to form the base for your research.
- BMC Medical Ethics: This is a journal containing medical ethics articles, tips, guides, and essays.
- Medical Ethics Physician Resources: This site provides a large link list for resources on medical ethics.
- Medical Ethics Resource Databases: This is a long list of links for databases related to medical ethics.
Problems in Medical Ethics
Defining medical ethics can be challenging because of the sensitive matters that arise in the field. Fertility presents the most complex and serious issues in the medical field, as doctors have to face questions regarding the religious and moral implications of their actions. Is artificial insemination in line with religious practices? What about abortion? Brain disease? If a woman gets pregnant with multiple children, is it right to use science to reduce the number of babies she has? All of these questions complicate medical matters and they challenge doctors’ abilities to make confident decisions.
Furthermore, there are issues with child care because children’s bodies are constantly changing and growing. Some medical decisions may hurt a child’s growth, even if they seem necessary at the time. Doctors must assess the age of their patients in conjunction with their medical conditions to determine the best course of action.
The resources below target specific issues in the medical field so you can get a better feel for the medical ethics surrounding them.
- Ethical Issues of Fertility and Reproduction: This article focuses on the most significant issues regarding fertility at this time.
- Physician-Assisted Suicide: This resource looks into the medical ethics for assisted suicide.
- Disability and Decision-Making Capacity Ethics: This article assesses the ethical procedures for deciding a person’s ability to make clear and wise decisions.
- The Body Theory: This resource looks into the theoretical components of the body.
- Brain Death: This link conveys important ethics regarding brain death.
- Organ Transplant Ethics: This article delves into the topic of organ transplants.
- Health Reform: This website presents issues in the medical field that are currently under debate.
- Ethical Perspectives on Pain and Suffering: Narrative Ethics: This article focuses on pain and suffering and the ethics that surround those emotions.
- Scientific Research Epics: This resource shows the problems that come along with research into medical ethics and practices.
- Pediatric Ethics: This information related to medical ethics in the field of pediatrics.
- Ethical Issues in Pharmaceutical Drug Pricing: This article looks into the ethics of drug pricing in America.
- Alternative Medicine: This resource discusses the ethics of alternative treatments and other hot topics in medicine.
- Long Term Care Issues: This link looks into the issues that come from long term care.
- Medical Issues In Genetics: This article outlines medical issues within the field of genetics.
Medical Ethics for Religion and Culture
Religion plays an important role in medical ethics, especially in culturally diverse countries. Birth rights, abortion practices, life support, circumcision, and death rights vary from one religion to the next, so doctors must be aware of their patients’ beliefs at all times. This allows them to go about their medical practices without offending or dishonoring the people they are treating. Here are some helpful resources related to religious and cultural influences on medical ethics:
- Issues in Islamic Medical Ethics: This article reflects on medical ethics related to Islamic beliefs.
- Buddhism and Medicine: This article reflects on medical ethics related to Buddhist beliefs.
- Medicine in Buddhist and Jaina Traditions: This article looks into Buddhist and Jaina practices with relation to medical ethics.
- Medical Ethics In Islam: This is an extensive guide showing the effects of the Islamic faith on medical treatment.
- Christian Principles: This article reflects on medical ethics related to Christian beliefs.
- Judaism and Ethics: This article reflects on medical ethics related to Jewish beliefs.
Policies for Medical Ethics
Every doctor has to abide by a certain set of polices related to his or her sector of the medical field. These policies outline how doctors behave in specific situations and they set a standard that patients know to expect. In addition to standards set by the country, some health care facilities establish their own codes for employees to follow. Thus doctors must be aware of all the policies surrounding their work before they do anything. Here are some resources regarding policies for medical ethics:
- Code of Ethics: This link provides an outline of the most common codes of ethics outlined by the American Medical Association.
- Medical Ethics: This resource has links to many other articles related to medical ethics.
Medicine and law often work hand in hand. Doctors must always abide by a set of laws that outlines how they must conduct themselves in the field. Doctors who fail to uphold these laws can be tried in court and potentially fined or put in jail. Issues regarding medical marijuana and other hot topics must be approached from both a medical perspective and a legal perspective. For more information regarding medical law, refer to the links below.
- Law and Medical Ethics: This offers a comprehensive guide to law and medicine.
- Oxford MedLaw Journals: This is a database of journals that showcase big issues in medicine and law.
- Medical Law Links: This resource offers links to pages that talk about medical law.
- California Medical Marijuana Information: This article looks at the pros and cons of medical marijuana, providing an unbiased overview of both sides.
- MA Medical Law and Ethics: This is another great link list for medical law articles.