Seeing a nurse midwife is quickly becoming the preferred way of many to go through pregnancy and childbirth. As such, this career field has seen incredible growth over the past several years and will likely continue to grow. If you are a nurse who is thinking of taking your career to a new level, or if you are thinking of entering nursing, consider these amazing benefits of being a nurse midwife:
- Offer natural empowerment to women – Midwives offer a combination of physical, psychological, and emotional care from conception all the way through to delivery and afterward. The midwife focuses on wellness for both mother and infant and uses a holistic approach to pregnancy and childbirth. This allows the mothers to listen to internal instincts and to have a more natural experience.
- Promote natural childbirth – The midwife offers the option of natural childbirth in a variety of locations including home, birthing centers, hospitals, and water. Since natural childbirth is the best experience for mothers and their babies, midwives strive to offer the most natural experience possible. They will, however, use technology at a minimum when necessary.
- Enjoy career satisfaction – Midwifery is one of the most satisfying careers in nursing because it is more than just a profession. In reality, it is an entire care philosophy. As a midwife, you will provide prenatal care and help, counseling, resources, education, and aftercare. For those dedicated to natural childbirth and the philosophies of midwifery, this can be one of the most rewarding careers imaginable.
- Build relationships – Because of the particular type of care that nurse midwives provide, they often build a strong bond with patients and, in many cases, develop lifelong friendships. As such, it is not uncommon for a midwife to deliver all of the children born to a particular family.
- Earn a great salary – Although nobody should enter this career for the salary alone, those who choose to become nurse midwives will enjoy a great deal of financial security. Whether they choose to work for an organization or to be self-employed, they can expect to earn between $30,000 and $80,000 a year and, if working for a facility, can enjoy excellent benefits.
If you are looking for a nursing career that will allow you to provide a unique level of care to women who are going through the best times of their lives, nurse midwife is an option you should definitely examine further. In this career, you will become an important, caring part of the lives of mothers of all ages and will enjoy an excellent salary and benefits as well as an unparalleled level of job satisfaction.