It is hard to believe that heart disease remains the main cause of death when there are so many things that can be done to prevent it. Taking care of your heart is one of the easiest things to do in the world, especially when you follow these 10 simple tips for heart health.
- Enjoy tomatoes – Tomatoes get their appealing red color from lycopene. Lycopene has been proven to be a very strong antioxidant that lowers blood pressure as well as C-reactive protein, which is a marker for a higher risk of heart related diseases.
- Bulk up on fiber – Fiber is extremely good for bowel health and also works to maintain heart health.
- Follow the Mediterranean diet – Countries in the Mediterranean region have very low rates of heart disease. This is largely due to their traditional diet, which is rich in vegetables, fish, olive oil, and garlic accompanied by red wine and very limited quantities of red meat.
- Get your chocolate fix – Dark chocolate is chock full of polyphenols, which lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. As little as 40g of chocolate per day provides health benefits, especially when it has at least 70% cocoa.
- Exercise – The more physical activity you get, the lower your risk of developing heart problems. As a bonus, regular exercise provides a great number of other benefits to your health and fitness.
- Soak up the sun – Vitamin D is a powerhouse in promoting health and the best way to get it is through sun exposure. As little as 10 minutes of sunlight a day a few days a week can provide you with amazing health benefits.
- Laugh at life – When you laugh, you relax your blood vessels and lower blood pressure. Regardless of how stressed you feel, find something to laugh about every day.
- See the positive – Try to see the positive in every situation. It is always there, regardless of how well it is hidden. If you get sick, keep your optimism and believe that all will be well and it probably will.
- Practice Tai-Chi – Regular Tai-Chi has proven to lower blood pressure and decrease the risks of developing heart disease. Meditation provides these same benefits, but Tai-Chi is also good for almost every part of your body.
- Reduce your stress – Stress is the cause of around a third of heart attack risks. When you learn to manage and reduce your stress, you can greatly lower your chance of developing heart disease.
Since it is so easy to maintain your heart health, there is no reason to succumb to this killer. Take care of yourself and your heart by following these simple steps to health and you will enjoy a greater overall quality of life.